Sunday, July 22, 2012

Favorite sunscreens

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am super duper pale. In fact in a recent photo, my entire face got blurred by the flash of the camera mixed with my bright white skin. #storyofmylife

Anyway, because I'm so pale, I use sunscreen all the time and have tried a lot of different kinds. I've rounded up three of my all-time favorites to share. All of these can be found at the drugstore and are about $10 each. Don't waste your money on high-end sunscreen. There are plenty of oil free, non-greasy options at the drugstore that work just as well, and are 1/5 of the price.

Let's get started.

Coppertone Oil Free Sunscreen Lotion

My favorite sunscreen ever. This is perfect for people with sensitive skin. It's not greasy at all, and is oil free, fragrance free and hypoallergenic. And it's broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection - something that should be a must when looking for sunscreen. I get the SPF 30 kind, and it's gentle enough to use on my face too.

Here's what the marketing stuff on the bottle says:

- Oil free, fragrance free, hypoallergenic
- Broad spectrum, UVA/UVB protectoin, with photostabilized Avobenzone <-- I have absolutely no idea what that is. Hopefully nothing that's slowly killing me.
- Helps prevent premature skin aging from the sun
- Won't clog pores or cause breakouts
- Waterproof, PABA-free
- Light, non-greasy formula absorbs quickly

Banana Boat Ultra Defense Sheer Protect

I tried this sunscreen because Target was out of the Coppertone one I usually buy and this seemed like the closest thing. The formula is a little liquidy - is that a word? I don't think so - but it rubs in easily and is really moisturizing so I don't mind it. It's not greasy and perhaps it's just me buying into what's written on the label, but it feels like it's doing good things for your skin. Again, I got this in SPF 30.

What the Banana Boat people say:

- Water resistant (80 minutes) - It doesn't say waterproof because Banana Boat is already converting to the new sunscreen labeling laws which don't allow use of the word "waterproof." Here is an overview of the guidelines from Refinery 29 - one of my favorite sites. Bookmark it if you don't read it already - you won't regret it.
- Lightweight and hydrating
- Broad spectrum
- Antioxidant vitamin E
- Hydrating formula
- Oil and fragrance free - Even though this says it's fragrance free, to me it definitely smells like sunscreen - but I like that smell so it doesn't bother me. Perhaps it's the aloe vera in it.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock

I bought this last year because I wanted to try a more luxurious sunscreen and was willing to spend a little more money on it. You get 3 fl oz for about $10 - with the Coppertone and Banana Boat kinds mentioned above, you get 8 fl oz for the same price. For me, I don't think it's worth the extra money, but if you like Neutrogena and want to splurge a little, this definitely is a good product.

You really have to work to get this one rubbed in (that sounds really inappropriate), but once it is, it feels like there is absolutely nothing on your skin. I have this in SPF 45, and since my bottle is almost empty, recently I've just been using it just on my face to give a little more protection.

Time for marketing talk:

- Lightweight, clean feel
- Fast absorbing
- Leaves skin soft and smooth
- Waterproof, sweatproof
- Won't clog pores
- Oil free
- PABA free

Oh! One last thing about this. Because this comes in a 3 fl oz bottle, it's great for throwing in a carry on for a weekend trip. I took this to Atlanta and didn't get a bit of color. Success!

A few words about spray sunscreens:

More and more when shopping for sunscreen, it seems like most of the options available are spray versions. Personally, I'm not a fan. I just don't see how you can get good coverage from something where half the product ends up flying around in the air.

I do own a couple spray sunscreens, though, that I use only for re-applying frequently throughout the day. I always start out with sunscreen lotion, and then use the spray kind if I'm at the beach or an amusement park - or anywhere I don't want to have to re-apply lotion. I just make sure to spray the product very carefully and rub it in with my hands afterward.

So if you're in the market for new sunscreen, I recommend trying out one of the three above. No matter what kind of sunscreen you use, just make sure you use it. And re-apply! You are not going to get away with putting on sunscreen in the morning and then spending 8 hours in the sun. You will burn. Trust me.

Use a lot and use it often. Your skin will thank you and you'll be happy you don't look like an old leather handbag in ten years.

Disclaimer so I don't get locked up: All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment